The Purple Quill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey members! Also check out http://apollostemple.userboard.net/

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Light Years Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ailurophile228
Ailurophile228

Reader
Reader

Light Years Question _
PostSubject: Light Years Question   Light Years Question Icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm

I think that I remember reading somewhere that if, for example, a planet was 100 light years away from earth, then that means it will take that long for an event in that planet to happen in our planet? If that doesn't make sense, I can try to re-explain. Or, could someone just explain how light years actually work?

I've been wondering about this for a while
Back to top Go down
Phat
Phat

Reader
Reader

Light Years Question _
PostSubject: Re: Light Years Question   Light Years Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Ailurophile228 wrote:
I think that I remember reading somewhere that if, for example, a planet was 100 light years away from earth, then that means it will take that long for an event in that planet to happen in our planet? If that doesn't make sense, I can try to re-explain. Or, could someone just explain how light years actually work?

I've been wondering about this for a while

Borrowing some knowledge frrom "How Stuff Works" I found this:

Using a light year as a distance measurement has another advantage -- it helps you determine age. Let's say that a star is 1 million light years away. The light from that star has traveled at the speed of light to reach us. Therefore, it has taken the star's light 1 million years to get here, and the light we are seeing was created 1 million years ago. So the star we are seeing is really how the star looked a million years ago, not how it looks today. In the same way, our sun is 8 or so light minutes away. If the sun were to suddenly explode right now, we wouldn't know about it for eight minutes because that is how long it would take for the light of the explosion to get here.
Back to top Go down
Nicki
Nicki

Reader
Reader

Light Years Question _
PostSubject: Re: Light Years Question   Light Years Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 2:10 pm

I had read something about that when I was taking an astronomy class. It's a really cool thing to think about that if something is 100 millions light years away, we see it as it was in its past...very interesting!

Nicki
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Light Years Question _
PostSubject: Re: Light Years Question   Light Years Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Light Years Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Purple Quill :: Miscellaneous :: The Study-
Jump to: