The Purple Quill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey members! Also check out http://apollostemple.userboard.net/

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Movies Based off of Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nicki
Nicki

Reader
Reader

Movies Based off of Books _
PostSubject: Movies Based off of Books   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 8:54 pm

I was sitting in my Psych Disorders class tonight and I was thinking about books versus movies...Then, I started thinking about movies that were based off of books and thought it would be a great opener for this section of the forum.

So, what are your thoughts on the extensive list of movies that Hollywood has made? Do they stand up to par? Are they lacking in some aspects?

Awaiting your thoughts...

Nicki
Back to top Go down
TwilightFan1293
TwilightFan1293

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Well....   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm a fan of the Twilight Series, if you didn't notice. Razz and they did a really gd job makin' em. Probably the best I've seen... waitin' for the next movie
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Inherently Incomparable   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 pm

Quite honestly, I view a book and a movie to be inherently incomparable: they simply do things too differently to justify comparing one to the other, even if the stories contained are essentially twists on the same thing.

That said, I believe in judging each art form on its own merits. In other words, I judge a movie based on how good it is, not on how well it compares to the book. There are instances, of course, where a movie version of a story is worse than the book version, but very often it is also the case that each one is great in its own way (provided, of course, that I actually like the story they tell.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Nicki
Nicki

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Re: Movies Based off of Books   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 10:35 pm

I see your point, Jon. But there is still something inside of me that needs to compare them based on their content. There are times when I wish a movie had a really great line, like the book had, or certain scene that I'd like to see on the big screen. When those things fall through, it's a little disheartening but not enough to hate the movie...unless of course the acting isn't up to par....No offense TwilightFan...

Nicki
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: A True Cynic...   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Nicki wrote:
There are times when I wish a movie had a really great line, like the book had, or certain scene that I'd like to see on the big screen. When those things fall through, it's a little disheartening... Laughing

Unfortunately, a list of all the things that any particular work of art lacks could be endless; it is somewhat non-productive to dwell on what is missing when it is those things present that make the work of art what it is.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Nicki
Nicki

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Re: Movies Based off of Books   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:16 am

Well, no one would certainly sit down and make one of those lists...unless they are OCD or something. But, if something is supposed to be representing another work, wouldn't you think they would sum it up better than they are doing?

Nicki
Wink
Back to top Go down
TwilightFan1293
TwilightFan1293

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Re: Movies Based off of Books   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 12:20 am

Nicki wrote:
unless of course the acting isn't up to par....No offense TwilightFan...

I spose I cant take offense to that. Evryone says that they can't act. But it's how the actors are. I agree with Jon, even though Twilight isn't exactly like the bk, it's still a great movie.

Back to top Go down
Jon
Jon

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Source vs. Content   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 1:22 am

Nicki wrote:
... if something is supposed to be representing another work...

Who says it is anyone's intention to represent solely the book(s)? We should not let our preconceived notions of the source interfere with our appreciation of the content.

Jon
Back to top Go down
Nicki
Nicki

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: Re: Movies Based off of Books   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Jon wrote:
Who says it is anyone's intention to represent solely the book(s)?

But, if the movies says...based off of the book written by so-and-so...

Wouldn't we see that as an intention to represent the book??

Nicki
confused
Back to top Go down
Aila88
Aila88

Reader
Reader

PostSubject: I hate to break it to you...   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 9:53 pm

I hate to break it to you, but I agree with you both (Jon and Nicki).

1) Movies are visual representations of something that we can only see with our imaginations, so, everyone's interpretation of the book will be different from what the movie is showing us.

2) Movies take away our imagination. Instead of us picturing the characters, scenes, etc ourselves...they are handed to us from the movies, making us happy or unhappy about the decisions made.

3) Movies use things that the books can't, special effects, so we can't say that they should be the exact same, because in all reality, they really can't be!

Aila
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies Based off of Books   Movies Based off of Books Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movies Based off of Books

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Purple Quill :: Miscellaneous :: Pop-Culture & Current Events-
Jump to: